Thursday 4 September 2014

Getting To Know Morgan Smith

It seems as if Morgan Smith kind of blew up out of nowhere however, since his arrival on the skate scene he's constantly showcased his incredibly tech tricks and crazy consistency. I decided to catch up with Morgan to try and get an insight into one of the many Canadian skaters that are killing the game at the moment. 



Can you tell us the story of how you started skateboarding?
I was was 6 years old & living in Midland, Ontario, Canada, super small town about 2 hours North from Toronto. I kept seeing older guys skating in the mall parking lot or at schools or whatever and I just thought it was the sickest thing ever. My mom bought me a board for my birthday and I just skated in the backyard on this little patch of cement for almost 2 years. We moved to North York when I was around 10 years old, which is way closer to Toronto, and that’s when I really started skating everyday. I had a little skate crew and we went downtown and all that.

You’re constantly travelling back and forth between Toronto and California for skating, what are the most prominent differences between the two for you?
California you need a car to do anything. You always have to pick a spot, pick a trick you want to do, drive there, most likely get stuck in traffic, most likely get there and get kicked out. California just isn't as organic as Toronto, where you can just walk out the door and skate around the city.  Plus everything in Toronto is generally pretty close together, where as in California everything is really spread out. I’m pretty biased on this topic just because Toronto is where I’m from and I’m just more comfortable here.  But I honestly feel Toronto is a better city for actually going out and skating the streets compared to California where you spend the majority of your time driving around.

You get hooked up by Blue Tile Lounge Skate shop, do you think it’s important to support your local?
Yeah gotta support the local, Bluetile is killing it right now, they just moved into a bigger shop down on Dundas and Euclid, right by Dunbat skatepark, check it out if your in the area. We're working on a little video actually so watch for that. Thanks to Rob, Julie and the whole family over there. But honestly everything local gets me more excited. Local shops, local companies, footage of locals ripping, its just more real. I like to support local farmers & all local business’s really. I think it’s cool to support people who go for it and start something on their own, and hopefully watch it grow.



You've put out some memorable video parts over the years is there one that sticks out for being your favorite?
Really old parts of myself are crazy to watch, I just think like “what the hell I could do that back then??” , Switch skateboarding vol 1, or Environment were good times, everyone was just a young skate rat, body never gets sore. I’ll sometimes see a clip and just remember everything that happened that day, its cool to reminisce like that.

What’s your approach to filming a video part?
Just go skate normally, if I’m feeling it, I’ll try something, but I know when I’m not feeling it, so I won’t force it. Sometimes I’ll just see a spot and just know the trick I want and try but that’s rare haha. I usually have to be really hyped on the trick I’m trying, I’m my own worst critic for sure.

You recently took part in BATB7, being a previous winner of BATB is there added pressure to perform?
Yeah but it’s not so much pressure as it’s people trying to take me out! Haha, Like kids will come up to me and want to play skate and just try to take me out in 5 tricks, go straight for the throat you know?  I don’t really mind, because this shit isn't competitive for me, but it’s just crazy how some kids think about skating now a days.  “I beat Morgan in skate, I’m better than a pro!!” is an actual quote I've heard haha.

What’s the best trip you've been on?
Tough question. We just went all through Europe for 3 months this past winter and that was awesome - Barcelona, Valencia , Lisbon, Leiria, Porto, Madrid, Rome, Innsbruck, Prague, Berlin, Copenhagen. That was really fun to plan and then just go for it, my buddy Duncan made that one happen. But one of my favorite trips was Lima, Peru with Momentum wheels a couple years back. Lima is an amazing place, way different culture then anything I had ever seen, almost 3rd world, but such sick locals that took care of us and showed us a great time. We also went to the Machu Picchu ruins way up in the mountains, which you should Google if your not familiar.  Machu Picchu was pretty much the craziest thing I've ever seen and really got me sparked on researching ancient ruins like the Pyramids in Egypt & Mexico, & stuff like Stonehenge and Easter Island, its pretty insane, it just gets you thinking.



 Being a Professional skateboarder is it hard not to view skateboarding as a profession?
Again I try to just go skate & just do what I've always done because it’s worked out so far haha. Skating has always been just something I do regardless, keeps me sane more or less and gives me a purpose kinda thing.  I just love it.  Now being Pro it’s like alright you've made it this far, now just keep going, it’s a midway point almost. So you gotta keep producing and do what’s asked of you, but I’ll always see skating as my hobby/passion first , and my profession second.
               
What are your plans for the future?
Keep skating, learn tricks, keep my body healthy & injury free, eat good.  I’m working at a new distribution out of Toronto called Kadence distribution, so I’ll be in there a couple times a week, just doing whatever, learning how it all works. Maybe try to plan some trips for this winter, just keep it going pretty much.

Thanks Morgan, any last words?
Thank you for hollering at me with some questions, sorry it took a sec.  Thanks to all my sponsors and everyone who’s helped me out along the way, Mom & Dad and all my friends.  Take your time and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment