Thursday 14 August 2014

Sponsors, Video parts and Living in Cali with Ray Maldonado




In an era where skateboarders are regarded as athletes, it's no surprise to hear about all the sponsor swaps that are currently taking place. Therefore, it was refreshing to speak to Ray Maldonado as it was clear his love for skating clearly surpasses the need to be at the top of the skating community.

  The First time I heard the name Ray Maldonado was when you won the Girl Open House back in 2008, since winning that competition have you progressed in the skating world as much you would have liked?
Oh Man, 2008 seems so long ago! I think as far as my ability on a skateboard I did progress a little. I never really took my skating seriously as in I need to learn this trick or that trick. I kind of would just skate and let the progression come naturally but yeah I wish at times my skating had been up there with what people are doing nowadays.

You've filmed numerous video parts both at The Berrics and in the streets, do you enjoy filming or is it a demanding process?
Filming is fun at times and every skater that has filmed either for a big project or just a homie video knows it can be a bittersweet process. Filming for The Berrics recruit was stressful since at that time either you loved or hated the Berrics everyone would go on the site and watch their videos. So knowing it would get a lot of views I was afraid of putting out a shitty part. I think a lot of people do demand a lot from pros and ams or any average joe part you see out, but you just got to do whats fun for you and if your hyped on what you film that’s all that matters really. 



You've been repping NikeSb for while now, is this through a friend or distributor or is it a more official hook up?
Well in the beginning it started as rep flow then TM flow and I still go through the Team manager. I've been with those dudes for a long time now and even though its really not because of my skating anymore that they hook me up I think they just help a brotha out with some kicks to keep me skating. Thanks SCUBA, RICHINS, ANDY, Travis and all them Nike folks I've met.  

Do you have any other sponsorships?
As I said before I get hooked up not as a sponsorship more of a homie hook up. Just to keep me skating. Shout out to Autobahn, Nike, and Royal. Also thank you to Vern for that time sending me Bones Bearings and James Craig with boards from Dwindle. Oh and Gabe from Matix for the care packages.  



Do you think there’s a line to be drawn with sponsorships i.e. Energy Drinks, or is it all good if they’re flying you around the world for free?
Obviously skateboarding is a business and these huge corporations are trying to cash in on the market but I guess its how you market it. You see some skaters with huge logos of energy drinks or whatever crazy sponsor that has nothing to do with skating trying to brand their skaters. Other skaters have small logos stitched on the most seen places you’d probably wouldn't think which isn't an eyesore. Shit if these guys are able to make a career and retire from this when its all said and done why the hell not have an energy drink sponsor or huge corporate company that wants to throw money at you. Do what ever makes you happy.

With the backing of some sponsors, are you able to skate near enough everyday or do you have a ‘real job’ on the side?
Well its safe to say I don’t have the backing as in “Hey were going on a trip and want you to come!”  It’s just a homie hook up to keep some nice looking shoes and good boards under my feet which is more than enough for me because I never thought skating would lead up to anything that has happened to me. As of right now I don’t skate everyday as much as I would like to since now that I'm getting older and work a full time warehouse job. The mind is willing but the body is exhausted. I do make an effort to go out at least on the weekends and shred with the bros. Shout out to Tony Lopez for being trying to make me film again. 

Being a skateboarder living in California would you say you’re living the dream?
Haha. Well I’m fortunate to live in California, but living the dream I guess you can, not as a skater kid in the middle of nowhere who wishes they can skate in California and pursue skating as a career kinda of dream.  I’m content how things have turned out and now need to make a different dream living in California a reality. 

Thanks Ray any last words?
Thanks for taking the time to reach out to me! Just keep skating and stay positive. A huge thank you to everyone I've met through skating.  Really blessed and grateful for the opportunities I've had through skating.  

No comments:

Post a Comment